Sunday, April 9, 2017

Slow cooked leg of lamb

Easter is upon us. I'm going to go ahead and throw out a completely unsupported piece of statistics and say that the consumption of lamb in Norway is going up by about 400% over the next week or so.
My household included, so I have done the only right thing to do this time of year, and filled up the fridge with lamb meat and all things lamb related.
First up; leg of lamb.

The reasons why I chose to make this years leg of lamb in the slowcooker boils down to two reasons:
1. I like things that make themselves
2. I looove tender meat, that falls apart if you just give it a strict look

First of all, you need to remove the shank You can either get a butcher to do it, or you can be a badass and do it yourself.
All you need to do is locate the joint, make a clean cut all the way around the bone, pt your back into it and pop the joint apart.

I chose to use lots of fresh thyme, about a teaspoon of finely chopped red chili, and 1 whole Chinese garlic to season this gorgeous piece of meat. Chop it up, mix with salt, pepper and oil, and rub it generously on the meat. Cut some small pockets in the skin to really get the flavors in there.


Heat up a pan with a little oil, and brown the lamb on all sides. Then just put the leg in your slowcooker, set it to low and let in stay there for 8 hours.
I added about 1/2 cup of red wine and the rest of the spice and herb mix. You don't really need to add any liquid, because the meat will go really juicy on it's own, but hey, who can pass up on a red wine  reduction?!
When it´s done cooking, let it rest for a while before you remove it from the pot and cut or pull it apart.
Pour the juice left in the pot into a small saucepan, and let it boil for a while to reduce it to a thick gravy. I added some corn flour mixed with cold water to get it even thicker.

I served my lamb with roast potatoes and brussel sprouts.

If you want a stress free and super juicy dinner, this one´s for you ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment