Tuesday, April 18, 2017

The perfect taco meat & easy mango salsa

Yesterday when I woke up, the first thing on my mind was  T A C O S!
Also, I had a coriander plant that has seen better days, and needed to get put to good use. 
So there was only one thing to do; Get out a nice piece of ox chuck (Høyrygg), and get to it!
This is in my opinion a very underestimated piece of meat.
It has just the right amount of fat, gets really tender with enough cooking time, and is packed with flavor.

First I diced up some garlic, onion, spring onion and chili. The amount you use is totally up to you, and comes down to what you like.
You can see what I used on the picture above.

Heat up a pan with a little oil, and sauté the garlic and chili for a few minutes. Add the spring onion and onion and let it cook for a few more minutes, until the onion is sweating.
Add everything to your slowcooker.

Rub the meat generously with salt and pepper.
Heat up some oil in your pan and brown the meat on all sides.
Add to the slowcooker as well.

Now to the fluid;
I added about 1/2 cup red wine, and 1/2 cup of beef stock. You can skip the wine, but I think it adds a nice taste to the meat.

Set your slowcooker to low and let it cook for 8-10 hours. I had mine in for 8 hours, and on "keep warm" for about 3 more hours.
Ready to cook

That left me with a juicy, tender piece of meat, packed with flavors, that just falls apart when you stick a fork in it.
Perfect for tacos.

To compliment the perfect meat, I made a mango salsa. It´s real easy and quick to make.
All you need is

  • 1 large or 2 small mangos
  • 1 avocado (I haven't added it yet on the picture below)
  • a small pot of fresh coriander
  • The juice of 1/2 lime
  • Salt and pepper
  • Garlic and chili to taste. I used about 1 tbsp chili, and 1 ts garlic.

Chop everything and mix in a bowl. Squeeze the lime over it, and mix well. Let it rest for a little to let the flavors set.

I served it all up in corn tortillas, salsa, guacamole, and shredded cheddar. Just amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment